Eagle Eyes Storm Talon: Part 3
I’ve been hard at work getting the Storm Talon ready. With the chipping done, I went in with the oils and weathering pigments for some finishing touches.
First I added rust streaks with burnt sienna oil paint around the rivets to reinforce the directional movement. I softened it with a little white spirits (AKA mineral spirits) to blend it in. I used Burnt Umber in the recessed rivets and some other spots, as it’s a darker color more indicative of streaked grime than rust. I still operate under the assumption that marine vehicles are not clad in metal, so the rust is from the rivets themselves.
I added some gray pigment in very faint streaks on the tips of the wing panels and some black scorching on the jets and the muzzle of the assault cannon. Working with pigments is always a fun process, and this time I sprayed white spirits very gently with my airbrush so as not to disperse the pigments too much. Seems to have worked very well, and it further adhered the oil weathering as well.
I then airbrushed everything with another coat of Future floor polish and my blend of Lahmian Medium and ‘Ard Coat to give it a nice, consistent satin finish.
Heat-stained assault cannon barrels
Faithful readers will probably remember my post about heat-staining, wherein I pondered whether we are all, in fact, doing it backwards. I wondered at that time how an assault cannon would look with the heat staining the wrong way ’round, and I finally got to try it out. I have to say I really prefer it. It just feels far more natural to me. This time around I did it a little different than my Imperial Knight’s heat-stained exhaust and thermal cannon, since that was a totally different type of metal. In this case, I started with thinned Seraphim Sepia about halfway down the barrels, then went through Agrax Earthshade, Reikland Fleshshade, and finally Drakenhoff (sp?) Nightshade at the very end. I thinned them all so much it ended up being very subtle, but I think it looks good. What do you all think?
Getting funky with the flyer base
Someone asked me early on what I had planned for the base, and frankly I had no plan at all. As I grew closer to finishing the model itself, I put some thought into it and realized the base offers a couple unique opportunities. First, with no interaction with the model itself, it’s an open canvas, as it were. Second, the clear flyer stand would break up whatever I do on it, and that should be kept in mind.
I decided to make it a sort of mini diorama, showing the results of an air-to-surface missile attack. First things first, I decided I’d break up the wide open space with a crater. Since there was nothing standing on here, I wanted to offer a point of visual interest that would be interesting enough to draw the eye. I started by cutting an actual hole right through the black base, and then filling it with milliput and sculpting the crater in the void. I did a similar thing for a torso, meaning to show it being forcefully tossed and half-buried, but frankly you can’t really tell I cut the hole at all. Ah well. The crater is hard to see right now but it should look great on the final model.
The subject of the attack would be, by default, the remainder of the Necron Annihilation Barge that I used for the Queen Bee’s base. I still had most of the model intact, so I just started snapping and twisting it apart, focusing on the other pilot and some of the surrounding bits.
The other thing I wanted to play with was the clear stand in the middle of the base. I thought it would be cool to put a larger piece of the Barge on somewhere, but I didn’t want it curling around the stand. So, I decided to put it THROUGH the stand, seeing as how it’s not supposed to be there. Realistically it was sort of the other way around, and the stand was basically cutting through it like a cross-section. I had no idea how this was going to look, but I set about trying.
I had to add some wires through the hollow bit in the middle, and made sure to make it as flat as I could. I then painted it black since you could still see a little bit of it through the stand itself. I really, really like the way it looks. As you can see I tossed the rest of the bits around and added bits of wire jutting out in a few places.
I added some bits of fire with green stuff to represent little hot spots of either burning fuel or explosive material from the missile strike itself, and this should add some fun OSL when I get around to painting it. Here’s where it stands right now (
no pun intended).
You can see the glue’s not even dry in that last pic. I’ll probably give it one more coat of watered down white glue before painting, as the last couple bases I’ve done struggled in the drybrush stages.