Getting a rough, textured paint finish.

Land Raider Conversion: Part 4 – exterior.

loricatuswip6It had been a really long time since I worked on this project. I was distracted by a hundred other things, but my wife kept reminding me to finish this one so I decided to do it. I’m glad I’m back to it because I have a newfound appreciation for this amazing Loricatus Heavy Armor kit.

I’m not used to working with resin, however, and I didn’t treat it properly the first time around. Some of the paint was coming off, so this time I decided to give it a good cleaning and prime it again with some Stynlrez gray from Badger Air-Brush. I really like this primer and it seems to work well with everything. I used a piece of card to avoid overspray into the finished interior and now I’m off to the races once again.

loricatuswip1After priming, I sprayed another coat of Waaagh! Flesh on it, and picked out a few bits with Leadbelcher again. I just wanted a nice clean base to blend the reprimed bits back in at this point.

loricatuswip5Here’s the fun part. I slopped a fair bit of Typhus Corrosion around some of the cracks and spots where I felt grime would build up. This is not like my Knight, because I’m not trying to represent rust. In my head, I don’t imagine Ceramite would rust at all, so to me the ‘weathering’ would come from a build-up of dirt, mud, grime, blood and the dust of a thousand worlds. Of course it wouldn’t just be caked on, but some areas are tougher to wipe or spray down, and would begin to build up a layer of oil and filth. Over time they’d probably even be repainted, sealing in at least some of that crusty buildup. That subtle texture is what I was going for. I wanted this tank to look like it’s been driven hard and put away wet. My practical marines would have it no other way.

loricatuswip4I painted back over the Typhus bits with the green base, feathering in the edges just a little bit. I wanted it to be a bit patchy and rough, though, since this was really the first layer of weathering going down.

loricatuswip2After that, I made sure the metal bits had their Leadbelcher started, and hit the whole thing with a pretty heavy wash of Agrax Earthshade to start building up that brown tone in the recesses. I’ll probably selectively add more later, but I like a rough wash to get a bit of patchiness going on the flat panels. People usually want to avoid this but I like it, myself. Notice how the shade really picked up the textured areas now. I think it’s a great effect.

loricatuswip3And finally I’ve started in on a very heavy drybrush with Warboss Green. I kept it a little more wet than usual and used my coarse hog’s hair brush so I could get a bit of that streaky look. I’ll be edge highlighting over this, so I need to make sure this layer is heavy enough to show around that layer. I also stippled it on the flatter areas to exacerbate the patchy look. Since I’ll be adding so much weathering and detailing later, a lot of this will be obscured so I need to make sure there’s enough to show through later.

I’ve only done about half the tank so far, but it’s coming along well. It looks like pure hell at this stage, but it’s vital to go with my gut and trust the later steps will reign some of it in. I plan to add decals and murals or some kind of decorative elements to the largest flat areas. Now that the drybrushing is done that will probably be next on the doors at least. Or maybe that front quarter, since it’s almost in the right shape to take one of my eagle heads. Hmmmm…