Dreadtober — dreadnought shoulder conversion and test posing

Dreadtober — part 3

I’m trucking along with this conversion project, desperately attempting to keep ahead of the closing deadline. I got a couple more hours in last night, finishing up the legs, connecting the pipes, and most importantly finishing the rough-up of the shoulder tilting.

More work on the space marine dreadnought shoulder conversion

space marine dreadnought shoulder conversionMy greenstuff was fully cured last night, so the moment of truth was upon me, using a strip of plasticard to make one of the armored rings of the shoulder joint. Luckily it turned out pretty well! I was impressed with how easy it was, actually. I used a digital caliper to measure the thickest and thinnest points, then just cut a strip of card out and trimmed it to the right length. Using my super handy Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, I tacked it down, trimmed and scraped a bit, and then when it was in place I bathed it in a good layer of cement to get a good, tight bond. My hope is this plastic will bear the brunt of the weight instead of the greenstuff, since its adhesive properties leave something to be desired. It feels pretty solid to me. Here are some more pics, including the other shoulder that I did last night as well.

Converted running space marine dreadnought pose

I’ve been mocking up the pose and gluing more bits together. Last night I was able to weasel the thigh tubes into place last night with a minimum of lameness. I still need to fill in a little gappage with greenstuff, and I’ll show you the pics once that’s ready. I was, however, able to get a really solid bond between the legs and body, and I glued the foot onto the base as well. Now I can sort of hold the thing together to get a sense of what it will look like once it’s assembled, and I’m digging it so far.

Ready to move on

Once the glue cures I’ll get an even better sense, but at least for now I’m satisfied enough to move onto the really fun bits: magnetizing the arms and then details, before paint! If I’m able to maintain this momentum I might make it before the end of the month. Wish me luck and let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions!