The Queen Bee rises

Imperial Knight Conversion: Pt. 1 — Prep work.

Part one in what will surely end up a very long series. Although it’s odd, I started this blog after I already did a lot of work so I’ll be doing a series of posts right away to break them down into smaller chunks.

The first step was prep work. I had some ideas about the conversion I wanted to do. I knew right away the leg pose would have to change. I also have a bad habit of cutting up absolutely everything I get my hands on. This was the most expensive model I’d ever bought (I still haven’t gotten anything from ForgeWorld. I just can’t justify the cost for most of it) and I was scared about cutting it up. I knew there was no way that I’d have a Knight with the same leg pose as everyone else.

I’m also obsessed with magnetizing models, and the thought of a magnetized Imperial Knight was too good to pass up. That being said, I wanted to do this right. I took the sprues to a scale model train shop and they measured the piston rods so I could find the right plastic rod for the job. Turns out the variety pack made the most sense for me, but I included the labeled pics if anyone wants to see if they have the right rod. I have NO idea what scale those measurements are in, but the plastic rod had the same 3-digit system.

I also made molds of both the toes and the hip ball-and-socket because I knew I’d be cutting those up a bit and I wanted some backup in case I screwed something up. I ended up not needing it, but Instant Mold is reusable so better safe than sorry.

I also took some time to create a quick and dirty Photoshop mock-up of the color scheme, and I did a nice logo up for her.  Oh yeah, The Queen Bee is going to be piloted by a woman. You can see what I’ll be going for with the paint chips and rust, and also the fairly subtle honeycomb pattern I want on the gold side.