Running Space Marine Ironclad Dreadnought

Dreadtober — part 7 (final post)

Well folks, I didn’t honestly think I would finish my converted Space Marine Ironclad Dreadnought for Dreadtober before the end of the month. The motivation really kept me moving and I have to say, it felt great to keep the momentum up. After spending a year and a half on my Knight, this one felt like no time at all. It was also my first chance to try out some of the things I learned from my Knight project, like oil paint weathering and weathering pigments, on my Space Marine stuff. So, let’s have a look and I’ll point out a few things on the model.

Dynamically posing the Ironclad Dreadnought

Before we check out the details, let’s take a look at the overall pose again.

I was going for a pose where he was shoulder-barging a target, to visualize the Hammer of Wrath attacks Space Marine Dreadnoughts get on the charge. To that end, I started with swapping out the legs and right arm for the ones from the Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnought kit. His right leg was then cut and reposed to raise it up, but the left is stock (because it’s already posed forward on the Space Wolf kit). His right arm is a kitbash between the Space Wolf arm and the Ironclad Dreadnought kit to give it the big power fist and maintain the iconic look. I also recreated the piston anchor things from the stock Ironclad feet and added some details to the bottom of the foot, since it’d be visible.

I’ve gotten a fair bit of feedback on this guy, and I think we can all agree he looks a bit goofy. That said, this is pretty far from the static pose that even the Ironclad Dreadnought is stuck with, so I’m happy with it.

A closer look at the conversions and paint

Converted Space Marine Dreadnought legHere you can see the angle of the raised leg. The hip is in the stock position, because it appears the design is intended to have the middle piece rotate on its own. I cut that out and rotated it toward the rear, and then also cut the knee and moved that too. Just those two movements were enough to get a big change in the overall appearance. I added a bit of leaking oil here as well, as this joint would be pretty heavily lubricated with axle grease.

IMG_0155From this angle you can see the front of the leg, and also a good shot of some of the battle damage and weathering on the front carapace. If you zoom in you can see the faint outline of a magnet that I dropped into it, just in case I decide to try the frag launchers some time. I could have done a better job blending it on, but with this paint finish it’s hard to notice unless you’re really looking for it.

IMG_0154I think the damage and wear turned out really well on this arm, and this is the shoulder that will be pointing towards the enemy during a game. Basically this is the ‘front’ area of the dreadnought, since his head can’t swivel. I’ve taken pains to reinforce movement in this direction, but we’ll get back to that in a bit.

IMG_0153Here’s some of that movement. This large scroll on the back looks like it’s flapping in the breeze, along with the purity seal on top. Adding the script was fun, and I also had to pick out the Adeptus Mechanicus cog at some point. This scroll alone I think does the most to give a sense of movement and directionality to the model, so he looks less like he’s falling over and more like he’s charging forward and to the left.

IMG_0152Here’s the bottom of the foot. I added some traction with plasticard, and also an aquila. Here you can see round bottom of the anchor pistons, in the stowed position. I liked these on the stock Ironclad feet and I thought they were important enough to reproduce here. I tried to simulate the caked-on ashes on the base of the foot with black and gray weathering pigments. applied liberally.

IMG_0151 (1)I added a victim to the base to represent one of the natives of the Space Marine recruiting world, Tonatzin. I had a couple of Gorkamorka Diggas sitting around in my bits box for many years, and I knew I wanted to use them sooner or later. I spent a lot of time on his rotting skin-tone, starting from a medium brown an mottling the flesh with red, blue, and yellow glazes. I even added facepaint, similar to the ones I did on my Scout. I removed an arm and added some flayed skin bits where he took a Necron gauss rifle shot. Once it was washed with an grey and black pigments in a white spirit solution, a lot of that work was covered up. If you look very closely  you can see bits of it coming through, but I like that it doesn’t dominate the base.

IMG_0158I included this pic to show you the number painted on his left leg. It’s the company number, but my dreadnoughts don’t carry vehicle numbers or markings besides that and the chapter symbol. I think the weathering turned out nicely on a bit that would take quite a beating. I also washed the bottom 1/3 or so of the shins with the ash pigment mixture to represent the kicked-up clouds that would eventually coat the bottom parts. I plan to do this will all my vehicles.

Dreadtober wrap-up and final thoughts

As I mentioned, having a real deadline hanging over my head was a powerful motivator. I’ve had this guy sitting around for ages, still in the box. Now that I have a Storm Raven, though, he might actually make sense in a working list. I was really worried reposing the static dreadnought pose was going to be a huge chore, but frankly it could have been a lot worse. The use of the Space Wolf Venerable Dreadnought kit really made it easier, and I highly recommend that as the only place to find any posed Space Marine Dreadnought bits outside of ForgeWorld.

I’m glad I buckled down and got this finished, and I have the good folks behind Dreadtober to thank for it. Let me know what you think, but at this point I’m calling it done and moving on.