Bucket o’ rust

Imperial Knight Conversion: Pt. 28 — Rust and peeling paint underlayers.

It’s on to the armor bits, now that the under chassis is almost complete. I’m still picking out details here and there, but it’s time to move on.

Rust and paint peeling effect.

I just got a little compressor for my airbrush for the holidays and I’ve finally been able to move on to the final stages of the armor plates. Namely, finishing up the peeling paint effect and spraying on the rust-colored underlayer and the chipping fluid. Let’s have a look, shall we?

As you can see, the peeling paint effect looks a lot different than the last time we saw it. Now that it’s all one color, you can see it’s actually a lot more subtle than it first appeared. Once the actual colors are on, it will be reduced even further and only close inspection will reveal it.

Macro shots of paint peeling effect.

Now for some extreme closeups I took with a little macro lens. Remember, you can zoom way in on these or right-click them to open them full-size in a new tab as well.

My lens kind of sucks, but you can really see the subtle textures I’m getting with this technique so far. Again, I’m shooting for the look of old farm machinery that’s been repainted many times without bothering to sand down or strip off the old paint. The sort of topographical map layers of paint, with semi-random layers that overlap each other. Once I get another couple layers on here the lines will be softened a bit more. Hopefully it’s still noticeable in the end.

Extra detailing prep-work.

Here are a couple shots of one of my favorite fluff-based details.

If you can’t tell what that is, I’ll explain. On the left, I put the aquila allegiance icon on the carapace and then I traced lines around the outside with a hobby knife. I added a few marks where to make it look like it was pried off, and then once it was removed I added holes where the rivets would have attached it. I only did the portions that would be visible. On the right, with the Freeblade icon in place, you can still see traces of the old badge underneath. When it’s painted, you should be able to see a subtle reminder of Queen’s changing status. Again, subtle, but I’ve been super excited to add this for a long time. I’ll just wait and see if anyone notices, but for some it will be one of those ‘Ah ha!’ moments.

Chipping fluid sprayed over rust color.Last shot in the post is just a preview: Most of the pieces here with chipping fluid sprayed on. I’ve never used this stuff, and I quickly realized I needed to dilute with a bit of water. I did so, and I still feel like it went on pretty thick. I’m on the fence about weather I should remove it (just plain water ought to do it) and try again or not. I think it’ll be fine, but there were some spots where it went on thickly enough to look like it might be obscuring some detail. I’ll see how I feel about it as I go.

That’s where she stands right now. If I can keep at it at this pace, I MIGHT just make it to the finish line before the anniversary of the project at the end of February. I suspect some details will still need to be filled in, but if I can get the armor on by then I’ll be a happy man. It’s been a hell of a trip so far, and the end is in sight.